February 10, 2008

Likafo
Cantonese "best kept secret" restaurant in Paris

This adress I'm about to disclose is one of my secret adresses in Paris. It took me a while to share it with you guys but let me tell you why it was worth the wait...

I live in the 13th borough of Paris, known as the Paris' chinatown, for about 15 years and it took me nearly the very same 15 years to discover a genuine cantonese restaurant. I'm not talking about the chinese tourist outlet (usually a vietnamese one) you'll find every 10 meters on avenue d'Ivry or de Choisy. I'm talking about the real thing...

A traditionnal chinese cuisine restaurant that doesn't cost an arm and deliver on its promises. Do not expect to find a trendy sophisticated spot though... it doesn't look a tenth good as it taste but I've been there twice since and every time, diner was pretty damn good. A friend of a friend told me about this brilliant Cantonese restaurant and he was right. He told me his parents (chinese living in Beijin) said this place was OK which was a fantastic compliment considering the fact that they believe every chinese restaurant in Paris were crap!

The cooks know what they are doing in the kitchen, and the food is dished out on aged melamine plate, served on paper-covered tables- no brushed plastic Ikea chairs, chandeliers or quirky flatware or gasp, the little stand for chopsticks, this joint strenuously avoids all unnecessary frills. And still manages to pack in the crowds. This is as good as it gets if one hankers for anything resembling decent Chinese food in Paris.


They do staples like noodles, tofu and roasted meats well but what made me really happy was to see claypot dishes on their menu. Dishes like the claypot rice with minced pork patty and salted fish not to mention the house tripes are awesome.
This dish requires a 15 minute wait, which is a good thing because it means they cook the dish from scratch like it should be made. Add some chilli oil and you got yourselves a homely comfort dish, good to the last grain of charred salty rice.

Likafo
39, avenue de Choisy
75013 Paris
Phone : 01 45 84 20 45

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds very nice. I'll go check it once I start living there (supposedly from October).

:)